This is an old post, preserved for reference.
The products and services mentioned within are no longer available.
Another 8032 board in for repair. I seem to be doing quite a few of those at the moment. They never fail to disappoint in the range of weird ailments. It's the traditional black screen, no beep, a generally dead computer. The owner has previously attempted to get this running, replacing four of the ROMs with 2532 EPROMs, and replacing the four 2114 video RAM chips.
ROM/RAM replacement board.
10 PRINT ".";This produced a screen half full of dots as expected by also a random collection of letter n's.
20 GOTO 10
pet microSD disk drives plugged in, and no response from either tape. Oh, and it is still slow to reset. Tape 1 came back after cleaning the connector, I've found the best way with those is to re-tin them with fresh solder, and then wick most of it back off with solder braid.
- RAM - 1x4116 DRAM replaced
- ROM - all ROM sockets replaced, all ROM and EPROMs tested OK
- Video half character blocks - 74LS166 replaced
- Video random characters - 4x2114 and sockets replaced,
- Tape - edge connectors cleaned
- IEEE-488 - 6522 socketed and replaced
- Slow boot - recapped